1. By this profound discourse concerning the Self, which You have delivered out of compassion for me, my delusion [illusion] has been dispelled.
bhavapyayau hi bhutanam
2. O Lotus-eyed, I have heard from You in detail of the origin and dissolution of beings and also of Your inexhaustible glories.
evam etad yathattha tvam
3. As I see You here before me in Your actual position, as You have declared Yourself, so it is. O Lord Supreme. (Yet) I desire to see Your Iswara form [cosmic manifestation], O Purushottama [best of personalities].
manyase yadi tac chakyam
4. If You, O Lord, think it possible for me to see it, then, O Lord of yoga [mystic power], kindly show me your Eternal Self.
pasya me partha rupani
The Blessed Lord Said:
5. Behold My forms, O Partha [Arjuna], by hundreds and thousands, manifold and divine and of multi-colors and shapes.
pasyadityan vasun rudran
6. Behold the Adityas, the Vasus, the Rudras, the two Aswins and also the Maruts. Behold, O Bharata, many marvels never seen before.
ihaika-stham jagat krtsnam
7. Behold here today, O Gudakesa [Arjuna], in this body of Mine, the whole universe of the moving and the unmoving, and whatever else you desire to see, all integral of My body.
na tu mam sakyase drastum
8. But you cannot see Me with these eyes of yours; I give you divine sight; behold My Supreme Yoga [mystic opulence].
evam uktva tato rajan
9. Having thus spoken, O King, the great Lord of yoga [mystic power], Hari showed to Partha [Arjuna], His supreme Iswara-form [universal form].
10. With many mouths and eyes, with many marvelous sights [visions], with many divine ornaments, with many uplifted divine weapons;
11. Wearing heavenly garlands and raiments, anointed with celestial perfumes, all wonderful, resplendent [brillant], boundless [unlimited], with faces on all sides.
12. If the splendor of a thousand suns were to blaze forth all at once in the sky, that would be like the splendor of that Mahatman [the great Lord].
tatraika-stham jagat krtsnam
13. There in the body of the God of gods, Pandava [Arjuna] then saw the whole universe with its many divisions drawn together into one.
tatah sa vismayavisto
14. Then Dhananjaya [Arjuna], struck with amazement, his hair standing on end, bending down his head to offer obeisances to the Lord in adoration, spoke with joined palms.
pasyami devams tava deva dehe
15. I see all the gods, O God, in Your body and hosts of all grades of beings; Brahma, the Lord, seated on the lotus and all the Rishis [sages] and celestial serpents.
16. I behold You, infinite in forms on all sides, with countless arms, stomachs, mouths and eyes; neither Your end nor the middle nor the beginning do I see, O Lord of the universe, O Universal Form.
kiritinam gadinam cakrinam ca
17. I see You adorn with diadem [crowns], club and discs; a mass of radiance blazing everywhere, hard to look at, all round dazzling like blazing fire and radiance of the sun, and immeasurable.
tvam aksaram paramam veditavyam
18. You are the Imperishable, the Supreme Being to be realized. You are the great treasure house of this universe; You are the imperishable Guardian of the Eternal Dharma. You are the ancient Purusha, I deem.
19. I see You without beginning, middle or end, infinite in power, of infinite arms, the sun and the moon being Your eyes, the burning fire Your mouth; burning the whole universe with Your radiance.
dyav a-prthivyor idam antaram hi
20. You fill this space between heaven and earth and all the quarters alone. Having seen this, Your marvelous and terrible form, the three worlds are trembling with fear, O Mahatman.
ami hi tvam sura-sangha visanti
21. These hosts of Devas indeed enter into You; some in awe extol You with joined palms; bands of great Rishis and Siddhas pronounce, "May it be well" and praise You with sublime hymns.
rudraditya vasavo ye ca sadhya
22. The Rudras [various manifestations of Lord Shiva], Adityas, Vasus, Sadhyas, Viswas, Asvins, Maruts, Ushmapas [forefathers], hosts of Gandharvas, Yakshas, Asuras and Siddhas - they are all gazing at You and they are amazed.
rupam mahat te bahu-vaktra-netram
23. Seeing Your immeasurable form with myriad mouths and eyes, O mighty-armed, with myriad arms, thighs and feet, with myriad stomachs, and terrible with myriad tusks - the worlds are terror-struck and so am I.
nabhah-sprsam diptam aneka-varnam
24. When I see You touching the sky, blazing with many colors, with mouths wide open, with large fiery eyes, my heart trembles in fear and I find neither courage nor peace, O Vishnu.
damstra-karalani ca te mukhani
25. When I see Your mouths terrible with tusks resembling Pralaya-fires, I know not the four quarters nor do I find peace. Be gracious, O Lord of the gods, O Abode of the universe.
ami ca tvam dhrtarastrasya putrah
vaktrani te tvaramana visanti
26. All the sons of Dhrtarashtra with hosts of kings of the earth, Bhishma, Drona and Sutaputra [Karna], with the warrior chiefs of ours,
27. Enter hurrying into Your mouth, terrible with tusks and fearful to look at. Some are found sticking in the gaps between the teeth with their heads crushed to powder.
yatha nadinam bahavo 'mbu-vegah
28. Truly, as the many torrents of rivers rush towards the ocean, so do these heroes in the world of men fling themselves into Your fiercely blazing mouths.
yatha pradiptam jvalanam patanga
29. As moths rush headlong into a blazing fire for destruction, so do these creatures hurriedly speed into Your mouths for their destruction.
lelihyase grasamanah samantal
30. Devouring all the worlds on every side with Your flaming mouths, You lick Your lips. Your fiery rays, filling the whole world with radiance, are burning, O Vishnu!
akhyahi me ko bhavan ugra-rupo
31. Tell me who You are, so fierce in form. I bow down to You, O God Supreme; have mercy. I desire to know You, the Primal One. I know not Your purpose [mission].
kalo 'smi loka-ksaya-krt pravrddho
The Blessed Lord said:
32. I am the mighty world-destroying Time now engaged in wiping out the world. With the exception of you, all the warriors arrayed in the hostile armies will be slain.
tasmat tvam uttistha yaso labhasva
33. You therefore arise and obtain fame. Conquer the enemies and enjoy the unrivalled kingdom. By Me have they been verily slain already. You be merely an outward cause [instrument], O Savyasachin.
dronam ca bhismam cajayadratham ca
34. Slay Drona, Bhishma, Jayadratha, Karna and other brave warriors who are already destroyed by Me. Therefore, kill them and do not be distressed with fear. Simply fight and you will conquer your enemies in battle.
etac chrutva vacanam kesavasya
35. Having heard that speech of Kesava, the crowned one (Arjuna) with joined palms, trembling, prostrating himself, again addressed Krishna, in a choked voice, bowing down overwhelmed with fear.
sthane hrsikesa tava prakirtya
36. It is meet, O Hrishikesa, that the world is delighted and rejoices in Your praise; Rakshasas fly in fear in all directions, and all the hosts of Siddhas bow to You.
kasmac ca te na nameran mahatman
37. And why should they not, O Great-souled One, bow to You, greater (than all), the Primal Cause even of Brahma, O Infinite Being. O Lord of gods, O Abode of the universe; You are the Imperishable, the being of the universe; You are the Imperishable, the being and the non-being, that which is the Supreme.
tvam adi-devah purusah puranas
38. You are the Primal God, the Ancient Purusha; You are the Supreme Abode of all this, You are the Knower and the knowable and the Supreme Abode; this universe is pervaded by You, O Being of infinite form.
vayur yamo 'gnir varunah sasankah
39. You are Vayu [air], Yama [lord of death], Agni [fire], Varuna [water], the Moon, Prajapati [Brahma] and the Great-grandfather. Salutation, salutation to You, a thousand times, and again and again salutation to You.
namah purastad atha prsthatas te
40. Salutation to You before, salutation to You behind, salutation to You on every side, O All! Infinite in might and immeasurable in strength, You pervade all and therefore You are all.
sakheti matva prasabham yad uktam
yac cavahasartham asat-krto 'si
41. Whatever I have rashly said from carelessness or love, addressing You as "O Krishna, O Yadava, O friend," looking on You merely as a friend, ignorant of Your glories;
42. In whatever way I may have insulted You for jest while at play, reposing, sitting or at meals, when alone, O Achyuta [infallible one], or in company - that I implore You, Immeasurable One, to forgive.
pitasi lokasya caracarasya
43. You are the Father of this world moving and unmoving. You are to be adored by this world, You are the Greatest Guru; none there exists, who is equal to You in the three worlds; who then can excel You, O Being of unequalled power?
tasmat pranamya pranidhaya kayam
44. Therefore, bowing down, prostrating my body, I implore You, adorable Lord to forgive me. Bear with me, O Lord, as a father with a son, as a friend with a friend, as a lover with his beloved.
adrsta-purvam hrsito 'smi drstva
45. I rejoice that I have seen what was never seen before, but my mind is confounded with fear. Show me that form only, O God; have mercy, O God of gods, O Abode of the universe.
kiritinam gadinam cakra-hastam
46. I desire to see you as before, crowned, bearing a mace [club] and a discus [wheel] in the hand, in Your former form only, having four arms, O thousand-armed, O Universal Form.
maya prasannena tavarjunedam
The Blessed Lord said:
47. Graciously have I shown you, O Arjuna, this Supreme Form, by My yoga power, this resplendent, universal, infinite, primeval, which none but you have ever seen.
na veda-yajnadhyayanair na danair
48. Neither by the study of the Vedas, nor by Yajnas, nor by gifts, nor by rituals, nor by severe penances, can this form of Mine be seen in the world of men by any one else but you, O hero of the Kurus.
ma te vyatha ma ca vimudha-bhavo
49. Be neither perturbed nor bewildered on seeing this terrific form of Mine; now let it be finished. Be free from fear and delighted at heart, you can again see this My former form.
ity arjunam vasudevas tathoktva
50. Having spoken thus to Arjuna, Vasudeva showed again His own form; and the great-souled One assuming His gentle form consoled him who was terrified.
drstvedam manusam rupam
51. Having seen this Your gentle human form, O Janardana, I am now composed and am restored to my own nature.
su-durdarsam idam rupam
The Blessed Lord said:
52. Very hard it is, indeed, to see this form of Mine, which you have seen. Even the Devas are very eager to see this form.
naham vedair na tapasa
53. Neither by the study of the Vedas, nor by austerity, nor by charity, nor by sacrifice can I be seen in this form as you have seen Me.
bhaktya tv ananyaya sakya
54. Only by unswerving devotion can I be understood as I am, be known and seen in reality and also entered into the mysteries of My understanding, O scorcher of foes.
55. He who does work for Me, who looks on Me as the Supreme, who is devoted to Me, who is free from attachment, who is without hatred for any being, he comes to Me, O Pandava.
In the Upanishad of the Bhagavad Gita, the knowledge of Brahman, the Supreme, the science of Yoga and the dialogue between Sri Krishna and Arjuna, this is the eleventh discourse designated:
THE YOGA OF THE VISION OF THE COSMIC FORM