idam tu te guhyatamam
The Blessed Lord said:
1. To you who do not cavil [not envious], I shall surely declare this; the most profound knowledge combined with realization by knowing which you will be released from the miseries of material existence.
2. The sovereign science, the sovereign secret, the supreme purifier is this; directly realizable, in accord with dharma, it is very easy to practice and imperishable.
3. Men devoid of Sraddha [faith] for this dharma [devotional service] do not attain Me, O oppressor of the foes, but return to the path of birth and death of the mortal world.
maya tatam idam sarvam
4. This entire universe is pervaded by Me in My unmanifested form; all beings exist in Me, but I do not abide in them.
na ca mat-sthani bhutani
5. Nor do the beings dwell in Me, behold My divine yoga! Bringing forth and supporting the beings, My Self does not dwell in them.
yathakasa-sthito nit yam
6. As the mighty wind moving everywhere ever rests in the Akasa, know you that so do all beings rest in Me.
7. All beings O Kaunteya go into My Prakriti at the end of a Kalpa [millennium]. I generate them again at the beginning of the next Kalpa [millennium].
prakrtim svam avastabhya
8. The whole cosmic order is under me. Under My will it is automatically manifested again and again, and under My will it is annihilated at the end.
na ca mam tani karmani
9. Nor do these acts, O Dhananjaya, bind Me who remain like one unconcerned, unattached to these acts.
ma yadh yaksena prakrtih
10. Because of My proximity, Prakriti produces all this, the moving and the unmoving; the world, therefore, revolves, O son of Kunti.
avajananti mam mudha
11. Fools disregard Me as one clad in human form, not knowing My higher nature as the Great Lord of beings.
12. Of vain hopes, of vain actions, of vain knowledge, devoid of discrimination, partaking verily of the delusive nature of Rakshasas and Asuras.
mahatmanas tu mam partha
13. But the Mahatmans, O Partha, partaking of the divine nature, worship Me with a single mind, knowing Me as the immutable and the source of all beings.
satatam kirtayanto mam
14. Glorifying Me always, striving, firm in vows, prostrating before Me, they worship Me with devotion, ever steadfast.
jnana-yajnena capy an ye
15. Yet others engage in sacrifice with the Yajna of knowledge and worship Me in various ways as the one without a second, as the distinct and as the all-faced [universal form].
aham kratur aham yajnah
16. I am Kratu [Vedic ritual], I am Yajna [sacrifice], I am Svadha [offering to the ancestors], I am the medicinal herb, I am Mantra [transcendental chant], I am also the clarified butter, I am the fire, I am oblation [offering].
pitaham asya jagato
17. I am the Father of this world, the Mother, the Dispenser and the Grandfather; I am the knowable, the Purifier; the syllable Om and also the Rig, the Sama and the Yajur Veda.
gatir bharta prabhuh sakai
18. I am the Goal, the Supporter, the Lord, the Witness, the Abode, the Shelter, the Friend, the Origin, the Dissolution, the Foundation, the Treasure house and the Seed Imperishable.
tapamy aham aham varsam
19. I give heat, I withhold and send forth the rain; I am immortality and death; I am being as well as non-being [both spirit and matter], O Arjuna.
trai-vidya mam soma-pah puta-papa
20. The knowers of the three Vedas, the drinkers of Soma juice, purified from sin, worshipping Me by sacrifices, pray for the way to heaven. They reach the holy world of the Lord of the Devas and enjoy in heaven the celestial pleasures of Devas.
te tam bhuktva svarga-lokam visalam
21. Having enjoyed the vast world of heaven, they return to the world of mortals on the exhaustion of their merits; thus abiding by the injunctions of the three Vedas, desiring objects of desires they go and come.
anan yas cintayanto mam
22. To those men who worship Me alone, thinking of no other, who is ever devout, I provide gain and security.
ye 'py anya-devata-bhakta
23. Even those devotees who, endowed with Sraddha [faith], worship other gods, worship Me alone, O son of Kunti, but they do so by the wrong method.
aham hi sarva-yajnanam
24. I am verily the Enjoyer and the Lord of all Yajnas. But these men do not know Me in reality; hence they fall.
yanti deva-vrata devan
25. Votaries [worshippers] of the Devas [demigods] go to the Devas; the votaries of the Pitrus [ancestors] go to the Pitrus; to the Bhutas [ghosts and spirits] go the Bhuta worshippers; My votaries [worshippers] come to Me.
patram puspam phalam to yam
26. Whoever offers Me with devotion, a leaf, a flower, a fruit or water; I accept that, the pious offering of the pure in heart.
yat karosi yad asnasi
27. Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer in sacrifice, whatever you gift away, whatever austerity you practice, O Kaunteya [son of Kunti], do it as an offering to Me.
28. Thus shall you be free from the bondage of actions yielding good [auspicious] and bad [inauspicious] results. With the mind firmly set in the yoga of renunciation and liberated, you shall come to Me.
samo ham sarva-bhutesu
29. I am the same to all beings; to Me there is none hateful, none dear. But those who worship Me with devotion, they are in Me and I also am in them.
api cet su-duracaro
30. Even if a man of the most sinful conduct worships Me with undeviating devotion, he must be reckoned as righteous, for he has rightly resolved.
ksipram bhavati dharmatma
31. Soon does he become a man of righteousness and obtains lasting peace, O Kaunteya [son of Kunti], know for certain that My devotee never perishes.
mam hi partha vyapasrit ya
32. For those who take refuge in Me, O Partha, though they may be of inferior birth - women, Vaisyas [merchants] and Sudras [workers] - even they attain the Supreme Goal.
kim punar brahmanah punya
33. How much more than the holy Brahmans and devoted royal saints! Having come into this transient, joyless world, do worship Me.
man-mana bhava mad-bhakto
34. Fix your mind on Me; be devoted to Me; sacrifice unto Me; bow down to Me. Having thus made yourself steadfast in Me, taking Me as the Supreme Goal, you will come to Me.
In the Upanishad of the Bhagavad Gita, the knowledge of Brahman, the Supreme, the science of Yoga and the dialogue between Sri Krishna and Arjuna, this is the nineth discourse designated:
THE YOGA OF SOVEREIGN SCIENCE AND SOVEREIGN SECRET